Go Back   Holdem Freaks > Announcements > The Lounge

Old 04-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Raise, Ha! is on a distinguished road
Ranks Showcase
HF 2x TLB Champion 
Total ranks: 1
Default Changes to celebration games

Over the past few years Holdemfreaks has hosted any number of celebration games with significant cash payouts. There has been some call to reconsider how we handle things going forward.

Whenever we offer up cash prizes there are any number of players who suddenly show up to play that aren't "regulars" of any of the games we host. In my opinion that's OK since it adds interest to the cause and someone invited them to play. Often times these players join because they desperately need money. I get that.

What's not OK is a random player showing up, pushing all in on the first pair he/she gets, and now suddenly they're on their way to a cash prize or collect a bounty. Regular players who play carefully because we know our opponents tendencies are at a disadvantage to an unknown player with absolutely nothing to lose.

Accordingly I'd like to propose the following:

To qualify for a full cash disbursement for your finish in any celebration game you must have done 1 or more of the following:

You must have played in at least 3 Holdemfreaks Games in the preceding 3 weeks or,

Contributed cash to the prize pool of the celebration game you're playing in, before it began.

A player not meeting either of these 2 simple qualifiers will only be entitled to half of the amount he/she would otherwise have collected. The uncollected portion of the prize will be added to the $25 prize pool of the regular Sunday game.

Somehow this should be stated in the game description of each celebration game that's made, so there are no squabbles.

I'd like to ask for feedback on this suggestion or any suggestions you might have as well.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Straight

Walnut Dog is on a distinguished road
Ranks Showcase
HF 1x TLB Champion 
Total ranks: 1

just a couple of thoughts:

Do you have to be in a "Home Game Club" in order to join?

If not maybe you should have to be, and have some sort of rule where you delete people who have not played in 60 days.

Or maybe 2 games, 1/2 of the money for regulars only game, and 1/2 the money for regulars and newcomers...
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Owner

CaliNaughti is on a distinguished road
Ranks Showcase
2010 Top Chick May HF 1x TLB Champion 
Total ranks: 2

Hi WD
Thank you for your comment regarding this. You are not the only one who has brought this up to me. Several members have expressed they don't think its fair for players to "only" play when there is a money added Celebration game.

Someone proposed the idea of only letting players who donate to the game win any of the prize money. I don't necessarily agree with this because some players play regularly with us whilst some ONLY play when its a "celebration" game, this shouldn't affect our regular players...right? We all know who our regular players are.

When we have a significant amount of money added to the celebration games it brings in a whole new crowd of players from other forums who only play for the money. I like your ideas on how the money be dealt with on other hand it might be confusing and hard to deal with in the end, Mark will need to respond to this one as he does the payouts.

I agree with you regarding deleting players who havent played in a while ..60 days or 2 games..to let in new players. We actually already do that in order to open up spaces for new players who want to play. This can be kind of upsetting to the players we remove to add new players and I get the crux of the messages from them LOL. We can only host 100 players on the home game.

I have always thought for the Birthday Celebration games it would be nice to give half the money to the Birthday Player so they can do something special for their bday what ever that may be and if they don't want it donate back to the games...then give the rest to regular players. Some may agree or disagree but this was my thought.

Regarding the comments about being in a Home Game Club to join the game. Yes you do have to be a member in order to play HoldemFreaks games.

It would be nice to make a Monthly Birthday Celebration Game for everyone who has a Birthday in that month. Last Sunday game of the month? I need input.

Thank you again WD for bringing this up.
Hugs
Cali

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the donkey, I will fear no river....

I Fear No Stack

CalifNaughti
Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Super Mod

neolakraj is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to neolakraj
Attn

All sounds good Mark - Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise, Ha! View Post
Over the past few years Holdemfreaks has hosted any number of celebration games with significant cash payouts. There has been some call to reconsider how we handle things going forward.

Whenever we offer up cash prizes there are any number of players who suddenly show up to play that aren't "regulars" of any of the games we host. In my opinion that's OK since it adds interest to the cause and someone invited them to play. Often times these players join because they desperately need money. I get that.

What's not OK is a random player showing up, pushing all in on the first pair he/she gets, and now suddenly they're on their way to a cash prize or collect a bounty. Regular players who play carefully because we know our opponents tendencies are at a disadvantage to an unknown player with absolutely nothing to lose.

Accordingly I'd like to propose the following:

To qualify for a full cash disbursement for your finish in any celebration game you must have done 1 or more of the following:

You must have played in at least 3 Holdemfreaks Games in the preceding 3 weeks or,

Contributed cash to the prize pool of the celebration game you're playing in, before it began.

A player not meeting either of these 2 simple qualifiers will only be entitled to half of the amount he/she would otherwise have collected. The uncollected portion of the prize will be added to the $25 prize pool of the regular Sunday game.

Somehow this should be stated in the game description of each celebration game that's made, so there are no squabbles.

I'd like to ask for feedback on this suggestion or any suggestions you might have as well.

Mark
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM
High card

spiff tuna is on a distinguished road

i like yur idea
Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Two Pair

SandrinaRoc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SandrinaRoc

From my viewpoint, I don't have the time everyone else seems to have to play online poker all the time. So I don't play much. I play the celebration games to celebrate my friend who's birthday celebration it is. I'm not a great player so although it's fun to try to win I haven't won yet and I probably won't win. I'm in it to celebrate my friend. Second, I for sure can't play from 1/15 - 4/15 . So if you're going to eject me because I haven't played for 60 days, well sorry but my profession and business don't allow me to play during those times. Just another point of view.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Pair

Sushi Hound is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sushi Hound

I just made a comment and when hit submit the website said I could not post as I was not logged in., which I was. But rather than trying to understand the digital concept computers use thought I'd go back to Chrome and log in. When HF site came up it showed me as logged in. At that time the website kicked me to a black screen with the following message;

"vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window."

Well there was no "back button" available so used Task Manager to get back to square one, which is where I am now, not relogging on.

Overall am not going to try to rewrite the thoughts and examples that were noted other than to agree with Roc that some peoples professions do not allow the free time to play on PokerStars as often as many do.

Thank you,

Mike

Last edited by Sushi Hound; 05-13-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Owner

CaliNaughti is on a distinguished road
Ranks Showcase
2010 Top Chick May HF 1x TLB Champion 
Total ranks: 2

I also don't have the time to play poker as much as everyone does but when I do I do play and enjoy everyone's company very much so. Id dare anyone to even walk one day i my shoes! LOL My spare time is very valuable to me and I have had a few changes here at home. Our 16 yr old grand daughter has permanently moved in with us as well as running a 24/7 day a week FullTime daycare. Always full! However I do love this forum with all my heart and enjoy it here very much.

I have to agree with Mark here. And its not like we dont know who our regular players are. Trust me we do and value your friendship and participation. I believe there are just alot of player who only play when we have Birthday games, or Celebration games and then come just for the money. You cant please everyone so you do what is in the best interest of our regular players and encourage participation.

So far I havent had any complaints aand participation is great!
Hugs
Cali

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the donkey, I will fear no river....

I Fear No Stack

CalifNaughti
Old 05-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Super Mod

neolakraj is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to neolakraj
Attn

Just want to thank everyone for donating and playing in the celebration games.

I think if it is a stranger who wins that half of their winnings get held back and added to a Sunday main game.

Also, a huge thank you to Mark for the weekly $25 prize he puts up. It is great, and winning it is great as well!!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:00 PM
Pair

Sushi Hound is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sushi Hound

Many thanks go to both Mark and Cali. You two have been the back bone of Holdem Freaks since Black Friday when we lost ISuited and DKBlue.

Mike