Holdem Freaks

Go Back   Holdem Freaks > The Shark Tank Advice & Answers From The Sharks > Advice & Strategey > Stud & Stud H/L

Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced

rcgs59 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcgs59 Send a message via MSN to rcgs59 Send a message via Yahoo to rcgs59 Send a message via Skype™ to rcgs59
Ranks Showcase
2009 Late TLB Champion 
Total ranks: 1

How To Play Rolled Up Sets In Seven Card Stud Hi-Lo

In Seven Card Stud Hi-Lo, you will be faced with certain situations where you will want to play the game like Stud Hi. Unfortunately, playing Stud H/L the way you would its high only counterpart will usually leave you drawing short or even dead. One of these situations that I would like to discuss today is how to play a rolled up set in Stud Hi-Lo. Being rolled up in Stud Hi-Lo or Stud Hi is extremely rare. So much so that you may only experience it once or twice in several sessions or a tournament. The first inclination for a player that receives a rolled up set is to slow play it. In Stud high, this would be the correct play. You want to try and get a couple of players to call along and then burn them for extra bets. The structure of Stud Hi-Lo requires you to rethink this concept.

First, if you are facing solid Stud H/L players, then they will be coming after you with scooping hands. While three of a kind has the potential to scoop if nobody makes a low, the odds of it holding up are greatly reduced in Stud H/L. As a result, you want to come out firing when you get a rolled up set. If nobody had completed, complete the bet. If someone has raised, then re-raise. You want to make your opponents pay to outdraw you and if possible, you want to get heads-up in the hand.

Playing a rolled up set from ace to eight will be semi-deceptive to the lesser experienced player. They might think you have buried aces or that you are playing a strong low. Rolled up sets from nine to king are a bit different. If you raise with these, you will almost be telegraphing your play to your opponents and they will likely slow down. Hopefully someone will still be stubborn and call you down.
If you are unable to push anyone out on third street with your set, you want two do two things. First, you are going to hammer your opponents on fourth street. If they bet, you are going to raise. The only exception would be if you start with a low rolled up set and they pair their door card. If they are taking a flyer with a pair and caught, then you may be behind. Next, you want to pay close attention to their hand on fifth street. Do they have a potential scooper or not? If not, punish your opponents. If they do, you may need to slow down if you have not filled up.
When you play a rolled up set, you really want to fill up. Filling up will almost guarantee at least the high half of the pot. A percentage of the time you will even scoop. The key concept in playing a rolled up set is to play it fast and be alert to any potential scooping hands. You will be surprised how many times you will have action on your rolled up set from low hands hoping to catch or from players that aren't perceptive enough to put you on a set.
I love the game of poker for the competition, the psychology, the never-ending quest to improve, the advanced and sometimes minute complexities not everyone sees when they play, and the enjoyment of succeeding after giving all your energy to reach a goal that may at first seem unattainable but that you find a way to make it possible

For the Love of Poker

Rose

Last edited by rcgs59; 03-04-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Send a message via AIM to rcgs59 Send a message via MSN to rcgs59 Send a message via Yahoo to rcgs59 Send a message via Skype™ to rcgs59
Ranks Showcase
2009 Late TLB Champion 

Strategies For HU 7 Card Stud Hi-L

Even though low hand wins half the pot your hand might not qualify since your must have cards with five dominations that are no higher then an eight. You can either play for the high hand or the low but straights and flushes will not count you out of a low hand win so if your hand is 5432A this hand would be an unbeatable low hand and it's also a 5 high straight to aim for the high hand.

High & Low Hand Strategy

In the beginning to the middle of a tournament it's okay to go after a low hand win but once your heads up you will need to change your strategy a little to mostly go after the high cards. If your starting cards are good for the low hand win then go for it but to win the tourney you will need to play high cards hands more often to win the pots.
Keep in mind that card value will increase each time a new street is dealt. For example, if you were aiming for a high hand but get lower cards that could now possibly win the pot or take half as either the high hand or low if you have the chips call to see another street. Any time there is an Ace on the board your opponent is going to feel a little unsure of his own hand so take advantage of it.
An Ace represents that you have a strong possibility of a good high hand and if you can draw out then it could be a great low hand as well so don't play this card passively but take control of the pot. But don't make the mistake of chasing a low hand this late in the game if your opponent continues to raise without anything showing take caution. Watch what cards they show and don't back down if you have a good hand.
Game Face

It can be hard to keep up with the math so pay attention to the players sitting with you at the final table whether you’re in a live or online tournament. Look for things that will give the player away, learn their playing style, are they aggressive or are they worn out and starting to play passively. Once you get a feel for your opponent you can take advantage of it.
Always look to see what cards they are being dealt since only part of their hand is showing. See how they react, do they take a while to act or is it an immediate raise. Depending on how skilled your opponent is his actions will be deliberate to see your reaction. For instance if he's quick to check that doesn't necessarily mean he has a bad hand.
I love the game of poker for the competition, the psychology, the never-ending quest to improve, the advanced and sometimes minute complexities not everyone sees when they play, and the enjoyment of succeeding after giving all your energy to reach a goal that may at first seem unattainable but that you find a way to make it possible

For the Love of Poker

Rose
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Ranks Showcase
2009 Late TLB Champion 

Fourth Or Fold - 7 Card Stud HL Strategy

As you should already be aware of, proper starting hand selection is key to being successful at Stud Hi-Lo. Starting hand selection is just the first step. In many cases, your hand is still a drawing hand. As such, you need to know how long you should stay in a hand when you are playing a strong starter. First, let's look at 3-4-5. You have sixteen outs to improve to some type of straight. You have 20 outs to improve to a reasonable low. 24 outs to improve to any low. You have four cards left in the hand. In order to make a hand, you must catch two out of the next four cards. If you improve on fourth street to a four low or four straight, you have three chances to make your hand.

What happens if you do not improve on fourth? Let's say you catch a 10. Now you have to catch two cards out of the next three in order to make your hand. You are looking at having to catch 66.6% of your remaining hand perfect in order to make your hand. If you don't improve on fifth, then you must catch perfect on the last two cards to make a hands.

This boils down to one simple, but powerful concept in Stud H/L and that is improve on fourth street or get out. Many of you that are relatively new to this game will view this as an incredibly tight way to play, especially if you are a former Stud player. In Stud high, many players will try to play until fifth street to improve or get out.

Stud Hi-Lo differs in Stud due to the fact that your object is to scoop. If you start with 3-4-5, you have to improve to some type of straight to have a shot to scoop most pots. Yes, you can on some occasions improve to two pair and even a full house, but those are rare. In stud high, many players will shy away from 3-4-5 for a high hand. If they start with K-Q-J, they will go to fifth not only to try and improve to their straight, but if they catch a pair of kings or queens, they may be good. Improving to a pair of fives in Stud Hi-Lo is rarely going to scoop. If you stay until fifth and catch, you are flipping a coin to catch your hand assuming that your outs are live.

Improving your hand on fourth street leaves you needing 33% of your cards to hit in order to make a hand. You will almost always have the odds to call down to make your hand at this point. If you don't improve to fifth, you almost never have the odds to make a call.

While this seems like a tight strategy to most, getting out of a hand when you fail to improve on fourth street will save you money in the long run. Don't fall into the Stud high trap of calling to fifth street and then leaving yourself flipping coins for the pot. Play smart and give yourself the best chance to scoop pots. Improve on fourth street or fold.

For the Love of Poker

Rose
Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Ranks Showcase
2009 Late TLB Champion 

bumping for tonight games

For the Love of Poker

Rose
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 AM
myxzytmkooxp

Default irxn gulhgzbarjvp

If you have friends, the situation is more serious, because you have deeply loved ! karen millen denim skirts karen millen coats uk She and Seymour also added a subtle message that the luxurious outfits are meant for real, grown women. karen millen discount codes karen millen classic investment coatimundi Sachi Izumi, I use it pretty much every day, the 25yearold said. karen millen black friday 2013 karen millen orange dresses Reebok's ability to complete the exchange offer and Reebok's business are subject to the risks described in its filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. karen millen wholesale jewelry Didn knew that the girl would have hurt, or simply never thought she would not hurt, just as 8 years ago, the girl like? karen millen outlet store us karen millen mackage sale coats I gently seat beside her, looking at her thin face, i already choke with sobs. malaysia karen millen online shopping <a href="http://kmdr.net/images/karenmillenonsalecoats.asp">karen millen on sale coats</a> I don know why i will promise, maybe he likes matatabistic, perhaps he has and the spent round like the world, but i have always wanted someone to protect. cheap karen millen dresses <a href="http://yhwscouts.ca/karenmillenbcbgoutletdresses.html">karen millen bcbg outlet dresses</a> Get covered all over with cuts and bruises, tongche heart, is like the butterfly pupa. karen millen east liverpool
gsoipcaz http://crispbarriers.com/karenmillen...ineoutlet.html wbmgpibv
Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 AM
myxzytmkooxp

Default eynn ttntucfuuotu

If one day you suddenly disappeared, perhaps no one will find, okay ! karen millen david bridals bridesmaid dresses karen ari millen wikipedia Design Show Highlights karen millen soft surroundings online outlet karen millen white dress bloomingdales No, we're more interested in whether Barack Obama will sport Hermes riding boots or if Russian President Vladmir Putin will wear a bearskin rug or if Prime Minister Stephen Harper will paint his face in patriotic red and white. karen millen white dress bloomingdales karen millen michael kors outlet dresses (BJ) and Sam Club, a division of WalMart Stores Inc. discount karen millen dresses And the new rural point on a meeting, let him farmer decided, was to let mind lead a person to endless aftertastes. karen millen bcbg max azria outlet dresses black and white karen millen dress I hope our good life is a step by step, the day is a day of good i believe love, believe that there is true love on the world, i am very grateful to my parents didn't give me too much pressure on yueyueniao, like his son there is no barrier, my heart calmed down. karen millen michael kors bags on sale outlet <a href="http://delightphotography.com/karenmillenweddingdresses2014.asp">karen millen wedding dresses 2014</a> Hold my fingers are warm, gentle touches your heart in my breast; gentle feeling world peace, when you stare eyes feel the rain. karen millen online usa <a href="http://museumofcomputerart.org/jpg/karenmillennewstylesforspring2014.asp">karen millen new styles for spring 2014</a> For a long time, i have been infatuated with in the text, to listen to the wind, you say, have become dependent, and mood, like autumn leaves, still beautiful. karen millen in manchester
dtkihebv http://mfclarke.com/cgi-bin/karenmillenvouchercodes.htm xxnxokdu